How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased relative: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are a lot of people dealing with loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and a few institutions out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Used Hearing Aid
- Approximately 14% of the total population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of individuals over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because health issues like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. As a matter of fact, new research comes out all the time showing how important hearing is to your overall health. These health problems can be eliminated and in some cases reversed by hearing aids.
And the final convincing fact is that hearing loss can cost the average family $12,000 in income each year. But hearing aids can actually mitigate that cost by up to 50%.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it may just not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a huge effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are lots of volunteer groups and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come and see us so we can advise you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.